Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Build a Log Cabin for $100

Build a Log Cabin for $100

I think this article is a few years old, but it's still worth reading if you have any interest in log cabin building. They have some great suggestions. I especially like the idea for the stone pillars, and am considering what that would do for my own little building.

What I find interesting is that they don't mention letting their logs age. Apparently they cut them and put them up fairly quickly, without the dry time. This is what I will be doing. The pro is that it goes up much faster, and you aren't left waiting two years for the lumber to dry. The con is that the logs shrink (and can crack) as they dry, and if they're already on your walls, you may end up with holes that admit drafts (or critters), or even with a badly split log wall.

Since my own shelter is meant more to be a temporary shack which will allow me to learn better building techniques, I'm not too worried about it. My guess is that within two years I'll be in another place, and this isn't a primary dwelling place anyhow. On the other hand, one can always chink again.

No comments:

Post a Comment